The Disability and Dyslexia Service (DDS) offers support for all students with disabilities, specific learning difficulties and mental health issues at Queen Mary University of London (QMUL).
QMUL is currently working with DisabledGo in order to produce Access Guides for our campuses. We will update this information as soon as possible. If you have any questions about our work with DisabledGo please do not hesitate to contact us.
Are you beginning your studies at QMUL in the 2015/16 academic year? Are you a Study Needs Assessor working with students from QMUL?
If so, please see our "Information for new students starting in September 2015 and for Disabled Students’ Allowances Study Needs Assessors" page, which highlights recent changes to Disabled Students' Allowance and how those changes may effect you. It is likely that further changes will follow, at which time this page will be updated.
QMUL Student Survey Results
In the most recent survey of student satisfaction at QMUL, the Queen Mary Student Survey (QMSS, September 2014), the Disability and Dyslexia Service had the highest score of all student-facing services at the university, with over 93% of users reporting that they were satisfied with the support they had received. Disability access also scored high levels of satisfaction when students were asked about campus life, receiving a score of 82%.
Our highly experienced team of staff offer advice, guidance and support in the following areas:
- Finding out if you have a specific learning difficulty like dyslexia
- Applying for funding through the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA)
- Arranging DSA assessments of need
- Special arrangements in examinations
- Accessing loaned equipment (e.g. digital recorders)
- Specialist one-to-one "study skills" tuition
- Ensuring access to course materials in alternative formats (e.g. Braille)
- Providing educational support workers (e.g. note-takers, readers, library assistants)
- Mentoring support for students with mental health issues and conditions on the autistic spectrum.
We support all QMUL students: full-time, part-time, undergraduate, postgraduate, UK and international at all campuses and all sites. We also offer training for staff, please contact us for information.
The DDS is based on the second floor of the Bancroft Building at the Mile End Campus.
If you think that we might be able to support you, please do not hesitate to contact us via email.